- The federal government, through the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has issued new rules about where employment and day services can be provided.
- The new rules are very vague and CMS has not issued the detailed guidance that is necessary to implement the rules.
- The Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS) was under pressure to submit a plan to CMS that would comply with the rule even though the details promised by CMS have not been published. DHS submitted a plan and asked for comments. They have now submitted a new plan that takes those comments into consideration. Now we have another 30 days to comment on the plan. You can find the plan here: http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/LTCare/StateFedReqs/waiver.htm
- The new federal rules talk a lot about "settings that isolate". The state needs to create a way to determine if a setting "isolates". If they decide that sheltered workshops, including employment and day services isolate then services will need to be moved out of workshops and into the community.
- Your voice makes a difference! Over 3000 comments went to DHS during our last call to action, many as a result of the first voice your choice tour. They listened and altered the plan!
- The public has until December 29th to give feedback and advice to the State DHS.
- Your voice is critical to ensuring that all setting and services remain available.
- Please consider contacting DHS once more to voice your choice. The address is below.
Be an ADVOCATE: Take action!
Mail or Email your comments to Wisconsin DHS
Click here for a sample Comment Form
Click here to download the Comment Fill in Form.
Here are a few important points that you may wish to share:
a. Thank you for holding this additional 30-day comment period.
b. Please advocate for a full array of employment and day services and settings.
c. The new state plan should not be implemented until the CMS guidance is complete.
d. I would like DHS to hold a town hall meeting in my area so that I can give my input on anything that affects where I work and spend my days.
DHS Contact Information:
Wisconsin Division of Long Term Care
Attn: Statewide Transition Plan
1 West Wilson St. Room 518
P.O. Box 7851
Madison, WI 53707-7851
There have been success stories in Mississippi, Massachusetts, and New Jersey. Your hard work, and determination can add Wisconsin to that list of success stories!